The Carneros Cuvée is our Tête de Cuvée. It represents the best fruit from our 335 acres of estate vineyards as well as our winemaking expertise in the art of blending. This special Cuvée is only produced in a select vintage year. Our 2001 vintage is a blend of (53%) Pinot Noir and (47%) Chardonnay, offering a synthesis of effusive ripe fruit expression with superb structure and finesse. With over 10 years en tirage and a minimum of 6 months on the cork, this decade-old wine is remarkably fresh, rich and complex and represents the ultimate statement of our house style.
A rich and complex nose offers ripe apples and asian pears that lead to bright berry fruit aromas interlaced with a hint of yeast and toasted brioche. On the palate, this wine is creamy and vibrant with complex layers of baked apple and citrus with perfectly balanced acidity intermingling in a very elegant, vibrant and enduring finish.
Great pairing with any type of seafood, from raw oysters or sashimi to cracked crab, caviar, steamed mussels, smoked salmon and lobster. Also excellent with cream based risotto, roast chicken and the complex delicacy of artisan goat cheese. Seasoning affinities include lemon zest, toasted pine nuts and sweet fennel.
The 2001 vintage in Carneros gave us an abundant crop that we thinned heavily. After a dry winter, we received just enough rain in February to bring us to normal levels. After a warm day or two in June, temperatures stayed in the 80s and 90s through the growing season. Harvest was orderly and many vineyard blocks ripened slowly, allowing fruit to ripen fully while maintaining bright acidities.
• 100% hand-harvested fruit
• Grapes were whole-cluster pressed to minimize extraction of bitter compounds
• The cuvée was made exclusively from free-run juice
• The base wines were fermented in stainless steel tanks at 55-60°F to preserve delicacy
• Six base wines were carefully blended to create the final cuvée
• The wine was aged over 10 years on the yeast to develop very complex flavors and a pinpoint mousse
• Tiraged February 21st 2002
• Disgorged May 23rd and May 24th 2012