History


Deakin Estate History

The Mildura region was transformed from an arid, scrubby, no man's land, to an agricultural oasis in the 1880's. Alfred Deakin, a former Prime Minister of Australia, encouraged California's Chaffey Brothers to bring their irrigation expertise to the vast inland valley of the Murray River in North West Victoria.

Since then the region has become one of Australia's most productive and prosperous sources of high quality produce including citrus, olives, almonds and grapes.

The Deakin Estate property and its wines are named in honour of that visionary, Alfred Deakin.

Purchased in 1967, Deakin Estate was planted to premium wine grapes which were sold as fruit until 1980 when a winery facility was built. By the time the Deakin Estate range was launched in 1994 some vines had achieved considerable age, whilst newer vines were being planted. An ongoing regime of viticultural innovation accelerated, ensuring the high quality, varietally specific fruit that has underpinned the success of the brand.